FLX Fitclub Studio Re-Opening Safety Plan
We have always worked hard to keep our studio clean and safe. We will be increasing our efforts to ensure we are following New York State’s mandates for fitness facilities, and (more importantly) so that we can provide the safest environment possible for our FLX Fitclub community.
Here are some of the new protocols and rules you can expect to see at FLX Fitclub when we reopen for indoor workouts:
Increased cleaning frequency
We will be cleaning all common areas (bathrooms, studios and lobby) daily, using products approved by the EPA to destroy the virus causing COVID-19. Bathrooms and high-touch surfaces (such as doorknobs and light switches) will be cleaned and disinfected multiple times a day. The entire facility will be professionally deep cleaned during the week as well.
Top-grade disinfectant, with electrostatic distribution
We have purchased a new electrostatic disinfectant sprayer that sprays evenly, causes the disinfectant to cling to surfaces, and gets into hard-to-reach crevices. We will use this with an EPA-approved disinfectant in all common areas daily, with special attention to bikes, weights, and all high-touch surfaces.
Reduced class sizes with social distancing
The floor of the main studio will be taped off to give each member a defined space for their workout, with 10-12 feet between stations. This will considerably reduce the number of participants in most classes (compared to pre-pandemic class sizes). We will have a limited number of bikes, spaced a minimum of 6 feet apart, for classes in the cycling studio.
Equipment management and cleaning
For equipment-based classes, we will set up stations with a basic set of equipment before every class. Please take any additional equipment you need before class begins, and avoid touching equipment you do not plan to use. Please do not share equipment with others, and do not return equipment to storage areas while class is in session. We will provide EPA-approved cleaning supplies you may use to wipe down equipment after class. If you are unable to clean your equipment, please leave it at your station and we will clean it. We will also be using the electrostatic disinfectant sprayer on equipment at least once per day. There will be additional time between classes to allow for these extra cleaning efforts.
Reservations and check-ins
In order to attend class, you must make a reservation on the website or in your Zen Planner app. We cannot take walk-ins at this time. Everyone must be checked in when entering the facility. You can either check yourself in using your Zen Planner app, or make sure a FLX staff member has checked you in. You must also complete a health screening questionnaire every time you come for an indoor class. To limit disruption and the potential for accidental interpersonal contact, we will not be allowing late arrivals at this time.
Outdoor classes will continue
We plan to continue hosting classes in our outdoor space (the back parking lot, aka the Outdoor Annex) as long as weather permits. In case of bad weather, we may choose to move the class indoors. We will always give people the option to cancel if they do not want to work out inside.
Virtual classes will continue
There are lots of good reasons to keep virtual classes going: spaces in live classes will be limited, we know that some people will not be ready to return immediately, and some people just like the convenience of attending class from home. So yes, we will continue offering virtual classes! In some cases, this may be a straight-up virtual class, or you might be taking part in a live-streamed main studio class (along with the in-studio participants) from your home.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout our facility: near the front entrance, in the lobby, by all studio entrances and in the bathrooms. Please wash or sanitize hands frequently, especially immediately after entering the studio, before handling equipment and after using the bathroom.
- Bathrooms will be open, but locker room areas (including showers) will be closed temporarily. Locker room doors will be propped open.
- The automatic water bottle filler is available but the drinking fountain portion will be closed. Please bring your own water bottle to fill, or consider bringing a pre-filled bottle.
- We have installed MERV-13 filters in our HVAC system per New York State regulations. This type of filter will trap very small particles and prevent them from recirculating through the air. We have purchased a standalone hospital-grade air sanitizer for the cycling studio as well.
- Exterior doors and studio doors will be propped open, and windows will be opened whenever possible.
- Ventilation (outdoor air circulation) levels into the facility have been increased.
- The lounge area will be closed. Please avoid lingering or gathering in groups in the studio or lobby before, during and after class. Floor markers will be placed in the lobby and hallways to indicate safe social distancing. We suggest that you avoid waiting for class in these high-traffic areas, and consider waiting outside or in your car if you’re comfortable and weather permits.
Waitlist and cancellation policies
Waitlists and cancellation policies remain unchanged, but we ask that you pay extra attention to cancelling at least 3 hours before class so other members can use the limited spaces we have available. Unless you are ill, we will no longer be waiving no-show and late cancellation fees. If you miss the cancellation deadline, please contact us via phone or email for a late cancellation.
Personal health and safety precautions
- Per New York State regulations, everyone entering the facility must be screened for COVID-19 symptoms (see below). This means you must complete this screening each time you come to class. We will have an online pre-check you can complete ahead of time, plus we will have a screening area set up in the entrance as you check in for class. Please arrive a few minutes early so we can complete the check-in process. (If you do the online pre-check, it will help move things along more quickly!)
- Please stay home if you’re not feeling well, especially if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. These include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19, are awaiting test results, or have been knowingly exposed / come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, do not come to the studio for 14 days or until you have tested negative for COVID-19.
- Per New York State regulations, all staff and members must wear a face covering indoors. The mask must stay on during your workout. You may remove it only to drink water. Bandanas, buffs, gaiters and face shields are not acceptable per the regulations—you must wear a cloth or disposable mask that covers both mouth and nose. We will have disposable masks available if you did not bring your own.
- Please bring only necessary items (keys, sneakers, towel, water, etc) into the studio, and take all belongings with you when you leave. We will not be maintaining a lost and found area. Any items left in the studio will be held at the front desk and will be discarded if not claimed within 24 hours.
- If we learn that someone who has visited the studio (member or staff) has tested positive for COVID-19, we will work with the Tompkins County Health Department to initiate contact tracing using the check-in information we have on file. In addition, we will close the facility so it can be professionally deep-cleaned before reopening for indoor classes.
We will be inspected by the Tompkins County Health Department to verify that we are meeting or exceeding all the New York State regulations for fitness facilities. As we know by now, the situation with the pandemic is very fluid, so we will continue to monitor and and adjust our rules and protocols as things change. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we adapt to new ways of operating. We know it is a lot to take in! So if you have questions or concerns, please reach out.