Follow our top 10 tips to keep everyone’s workout safe, fun and stress-free!
- Avoid entering the workout floor during an active part of class. For everyone’s safety (including your own), don’t try to navigate through a sea of moving people and/or weights. If you arrive late to class, need to leave the room, or need to grab equipment during class, use extreme caution. Try to wait for a break in the action before you move through.
- Keep dirty outdoor shoes off the workout floor. Dirty, slippery floors are hazardous. We know you’re anxious to claim a spot, but please remove or clean your wet, dirty or snow-covered shoes before walking on the workout floor. (Pro tip: reserve a pair of sneakers for indoor use only. They’ll stay clean and will last a long time.)
- Arrive on time (or even a few minutes early!) for class. We try really hard to start and end classes on time, and latecomers can be disruptive to the flow of class. If you do arrive late, please wait for a break and enter the workout area cautiously.
- Cancel your reservation if you can’t attend class. This gives others a chance to attend the class and helps keep our operations running smoothly. Even a late cancellation (via phone, text or email) is appreciated since we can often use that spot to take a drop-in or get someone on the waitlist to come in.
- If you’re sick, stay home and rest. We know it can be hard to resist the temptation to try to sweat out your sickness. But if you’re coughing on everything around you, please stay home and avoid exposing others to those germs. We’ll be here for you when you’re feeling better! (And when you’re here, we have hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes for the equipment to help protect yourself from germ spread.)
- Pay attention to how you smell. Body, breath & clothing smells can be extra strong in small spaces, so let’s keep it fresh! We have deodorant and body wipes in the locker rooms for quick refreshes, and showers if you want to deep-clean. (Too much of a good thing can also be hard to handle, so please avoid wearing heavy perfumes.) And even if you smell fine, there could still be funk clinging to your workout clothes. Tech fabrics like spandex hold onto odors. If your freshly-washed clothes still seem a little ripe, look for a de-stinking clothing detergent designed to deal with lingering smells.
- Turn off your cell phone ringer during class. We realize that sometimes you have to check in on something important outside of the studio, but try your best to put your phone aside and focus on your workout. If you really need to take a call, please step into the hallway.
- Respect other people’s space. Nobody “owns” a spot on the floor or a bike. It’s first come, first served—so if you have a preferred spot, please be on time to claim it. In crowded classes, try to make room for others so everyone has space to move. And please, no saving spots or equipment for friends. Everyone who has reserved a spot will get one!
- Respect the class that’s in session. We love that you enjoy talking to each other, but keep conversation volumes down when class is in session. Respect the instructor by turning off conversations during the actual workout. If you need to leave class early, do so quickly and quietly. You can even leave your equipment behind, and we’ll take care of it.
- Respect the equipment. Put the weights down carefully. (The plates can break if dropped—and so can your toes!) If you’re not sure how to use the equipment, please ask your instructor. And when your workout is done, use the gym wipes in the white buckets or black wipe stations to wipe off your bike, bench, mat, etc. The next person will appreciate your effort!
And finally (so important we had to add an 11th tip):
- Be kind to your fellow Fitclubbers. Share space and equipment graciously, and please be patient with people’s personal quirks. We’ve earned a reputation as Ithaca’s friendliest & most welcoming fitness community. Let’s keep it up!